If you have a Ford Mustang, chances are that you have one with a MT-82 6 speed manual transmission. These really are great transmission boxes no doubt.
However, that said, just like with any other transmission out there, you will need the right transmission fluid for it. The right transmission fluid will make it much easier to shift gears without sticking, grinding, or missed shifts.
Finding the best transmission fluid MT82 is easier said than done. There is a lot of information floating around out there, and right now we are here to help clear up the confusion.
- Preserves the warranty
- Corrosion and wear protection
- Long service life
- Great corrosion protection
- Protects against friction
- Smooth shifting
- Exceptionally smooth performance
- High level of protection
- Good for fuel economy
Overall #1 Rated Pick
The number one rated top pick for the best transmission fluid for the MT82 manual transmission would be Genuine Ford Fluid XT-11-QDC Dual Clutch Transmission Fluid. Ford Mustangs with MT82 transmission should be using this particular transmission fluid. So, what is so good about this particular transmission fluid?
- This fluid can be used to drive up to 150,000 miles without requiring a change.
- This fluid is made to help smoothly operate the transmission’s shift mechanisms.
- Genuine Ford Fluid XT-11-QDC Dual Clutch Transmission Fluid features very low viscosity, which therefor helps to improve fuel economy. This low viscosity also helps it function well in cold weather conditions.
- This transmission fluid is made with a combination of synthetic base oils and performance additives to help improve shifting capabilities at all ambient temperature levels.
- This particular transmission fluid is designed to protect the transmission and its components from wear and tear, as well as corrosion too.
The top best product [hide]
Transmission Fluid MT82 Buyer’s Guide
Are you short on time or just want a quick answer?
Check out our list below for a summary of our results.
- Genuine Ford Fluid XT-11-QDC Dual Clutch Transmission Fluid – Recommended Transmission Fluid MT82 (Our Overall)
- Motorcraft XT11QDC Transmission Fluid - Best Fluid for Smooth Shifting
- Royal Purple Synchromax Synthetic Transmission Fluid
There are some really important things which you need to know about your MT82 transmission, the fluid, and how to choose the right fluid. Let’s talk about some important purchasing considerations for your MT82 transmission fluid.
Ford MT82 Transmission
The first thing which you should know is which Ford Mustang vehicles actually have this MT82 transmission. Right now, all Ford Mustang 2197s from 2011 to 2014 feature the MT82 transmission. Also, all Ford Mustang 2550s from 2015 to 2019 also feature the MT82 transmission.
How to Find the Right Transmission Fluid
First off, you need to know how to choose the right transmission fluid for your specific vehicle and the transmission. The best way to figure out what the appropriate transmission fluid is for your specific vehicle is to check the owner’s manual. The section in the owner’s manual concerning transmission fluid should inform you of the specific type and brand of transmission fluid you will need.
Another way to check what kind of transmission fluid is required for your vehicle is to check the transmission fluid dipstick in your vehicle. Remove the dipstick and inspect it, as it should have the designation written on it.
MT82 Transmission Specs
Let’s quickly take a look at some of the technical specs of the Ford MT82 transmission. This transmission is made with a 2 piece aluminum case. It features a 26 spline input shaft. This transmission features a torque capacity of 375 lb-ft and it weighs approximately 108 pounds. The recommended transmission fluid for this particular transmission is Genuine Ford Fluid XT-11-QDC Dual Clutch Transmission Fluid is.
What is the Transmission Fluid Capacity for the MT82 Transmission?
According to the manufacturer, this particular transmission requires 2.7 US quarts of transmission fluid. This may vary depending on the specific model of vehicle, although 2.7 quarts is the standard.
How Often Should Transmission Fluid be Changed?
It is recommended to change Ford Mustang transmission fluid at least every 150,000 miles which the car has driven. That said, most mechanics and auto experts will recommend changing the transmission fluid every 60,000 to 80,000 miles.
What is the Best Transmission Fluid Made of?
The best transmission fluids for your vehicle are generally made with a blend of synthetic oils and additives. The additives are designed to improve performance in various temperatures, fuel economy, ease of shifting, and more.
The Best Transmission Fluid MT82
Let’s take a look at the options you have for the best transmission fluid for MT82. We have a few options for you to take a closer look at right here.
Remember to always check the owner’s manual for your particular vehicle when choosing the right transmission fluid. Beware that there are only a few acceptable options to go with for the MT82 transmission, mainly the ones which we have listed above.